PhD Full-time Program
The Ph.D program is a full-time, campus-based residential program designed for students interested in management teaching, research and consultancy. The main objectives of the program are to:
- Develop management teachers well equipped with the skills required for imparting education to business school students
- Develop bright young academics with research skills to conduct research in contemporary issues in management.
The program has five phases, namely; Doctoral Coursework, Pedagogy, Qualifying Examination, Preparation of Research Proposal and Thesis Work and can be completed in four years.
In the first year the student takes 8 courses. They consist of Seminar Courses, Inter disciplinary Courses, Research Methods and a Research Project. The course work paves the way to develop Doctoral Thesis Work.
During the first 2 years the students learn the basic teaching aids and practices required for efficient and effective management teaching. They are exposed to the case method of teaching including the case-writing. They also take up intensive workshops on other teaching aids, soft skills, institutional development, student evaluation and feedback, student counseling, curriculum design and courseware development, executive development programs and consulting.
Ph.D. Qualifying Examination
In the second year the students complete the Ph.D. qualifying examination. The qualifying examination tests the student’s knowledge in the prescribed areas and their ability to apply the same in research.
On completion of the qualifying examination, the students register for the independent study courses and prepare the Ph.D. thesis proposal under the guidance of a Doctoral Advisory Committee.
In the third year the students are sent abroad for the Visiting Scholar Program where they fine tune their thesis proposal. After returning to India they defend their thesis proposal and start working on their Ph.D. thesis. They complete the Ph.D. thesis work in the fourth year.
The performance of the students in each stage is assessed by means of continuous evaluation throughout the semesters.
Features of the Program
During the program, the students will be associated with the senior faculty members who are engaged in teaching, research, consultancy, and institutional development. The objective of the association is to ensure that each student is thoroughly exposed to all the nuances of teaching, research, consultancy and institutional development.
Visiting Scholar Program
After successful completion of Ph.D. qualifying examination, in the third year of the program the students are eligible to spend 5 months abroad under the Visiting Scholar Program on self-supported basis. The main objective of the VSP is to make sure that these candidates get exposure to the teaching and research environment in an international context.
All students admitted into the Full-time PhD program will be given a fellowship of Rs. 25,000/- (Rupees Twenty Five Thousand only) per month .
After passing the Ph.D qualifying examination, the students will be paid a fellowship of Rs. 35,000/- (Rupees Thirty Five Thousand only) per month till the student defends the thesis proposal.
Stipend of Rs. 40,000 (Rupees forty Thousand only) per month will be paid to the student, after successful defense of their thesis proposal and up to the completion of four years of Ph.D Program.
Stipend would be paid for only 48 months (4 years) from the date of commencement of the Program or till completion of Ph.D Program, whichever is earlier. In lieu of this fellowship, the students may be required to provide support for teaching / research / administrative activities of the University for up to 10 hours a week.
A professional development grant of Rs. 20,000 per annum is also given to the students for the four years, for attending conferences, workshops and seminars. On successful defense of the Ph.D thesis by the students, they can pursue their career in any organization of their choice. However, such candidates may also opt to apply to IFHE or any of its sponsor/ constituent/affiliate/associate organizations and their request may be considered for a position of faculty at a suitable pay package, under a separate offer of appointment based on their educational background, performance in the Ph.D Program and availability of vacancies.
Admission Modalities (Full time & Part time)
- Graduation (any discipline) with 50% and above marks with medium of instruction as English and
- Post graduation in Management (full time with specialization in Marketing / Finance / Human Resource Management / Operations from an UGC approved University) with 55% and above marks Or
- Post Graduation (full time) in Economics/Commerce/Psychology/Sociology/Public Administration/ Statistics/Mathematics or in an allied discipline from a recognized University in India or abroad with 55% and above marks Or
- A professional qualification like CFA / CA / CWA / CS with 60% and above marks.
All applicants should have completed a minimum of 17 years of education (on 10+2+3+2 or 10+2+4+2 basis).
The candidates seeking admission to Ph.D. program (Full time / Part time) offered by IBS Hyderabad have to appear for IBSAT.
- IBSAT is an online aptitude test conducted by The ICFAI Foundation For Higher Education (a deemed to be University under Section 3 of UGC act 1956), for students seeking admission to the MBA / Ph.D. programs of IBS Hyderabad. IBSAT is an aptitude test based on Computer Based Test (CBT) format. The test is of 2 hours duration and is conducted in 4-5 sessions per day at test centers across India.
- GMAT® scores, CAT and NMAT scores are also considered. Candidates with GMAT® score of 500 and above and CAT percentile of 60 and above are exempted from IBSAT.
- IBS Alumni, M.Phil Degree holders and UGC NET qualified candidates are also exempted from IBSAT.
The candidates who are short listed based on IBSAT / GMAT / CAT are called for selection process at IBS Hyderabad. The final selection is based on an aptitude test in Research methods, micro-presentation and Technical Interview.
Full time Ph.D students have to pay Rs. 40000 towards admission fee (non-refundable). The fee for the 4 year Ph.D program is Rs 1.20 lakhs per annum. However, the semester fee of Rs. 60000 per semester for 8 semesters is waived off subject to meeting specific academic requirements.
Commencement of Classes:
June 1, 2018
For any clarification on program, eligibility, admission, the candidates may reach us on the
List of Ph.D completed IFHE Scholars